Today the Puffins continued designing their own self portraits in computing. We used a software called My World 3 and the children practised their clicking and dragging skills by selecting facial features to reflect their own appearance. The Puffins have enjoyed using this software so much that a lot of the children have asked to use it during their decision time as well. It is wonderful to see how passionate they are about developing their computing skills. Well done Puffins!
This week we have been learning all about the human skeleton. In science we labelled the skull, spine, ribcage and femur/thigh bone. Then in art we drew our own skeletons using black card and white chalk.
Reminder- Please read at home every night with your child and sign and date their reading record. Mrs Orr checks the yellow reading records every morning and unfortunately if your child has not read at home, they cannot change their book the following day. Also, if the children do not read at home every night in the week, they will not be able to go out for extra play time on Friday afternoon and will instead have to stay in the classroom and read during this time. We understand if there are genuine reasons for not reading on the odd occasion such as if your child was unwell, however, please do encourage your child to read every night as this will really support their learning in Year 1.
Thank you for all of your support,
Miss Boardman and Mrs Orr
Our topic for this term is 'This is me'. Today, some of the children began their own self-portraits on the computers, whilst other children continued their self-portrait drawings using pastels and wool.
In English, we have continued our topic 'Rhyming stories'. It is wonderful to see the children becoming more confident at locating rhyming words within each story.
Can the children find any rhyming words in any of their own books at home?
I have also linked our class rhyming game below if the children want to play at home.
Today in maths we continued our work on addition. We practised our number formation and practised forming our own number sentences using the dominoes and number cards.
The children use 100 squares to support their addition work. I have linked the online version below if they want to practise at home.
14/09/18- Reading Eggs and Mathletics
Today, your child will bring home a username and password for Mathletics and Reading Eggs. These will be on two small cards inside their reading packets. Please ensure these stay within your child's reading packet following use at home so they don't get lost. Your child can access both Mathletics and Reading Eggs using the web link on the cards or by downloading the Mathletics and Reading Eggs apps.
Please support your child when first accessing these apps/websites as unfortunately the logins are quite difficult but cannot be changed.
As your child begins to feel more confident, please encourage them to login as independently as possible as this will support their pace when using these apps at school.
On Fridays, we check as a class which children have been using the apps and the children who have achieved online certificates will be able to put a picture of themselves up on the schools' Mathletics and Reading Eggs display.
Thank you for all your support.
Thank you to all of the parents who attended our Year One Meet the Teacher Meeting on Wednesday. For those who were unable to attend, a pack has been sent home today with some information about your child's class and the Year 1 routines and expectations. I have also listed some of the key points from the Meet The Teacher meeting below.
- Labelling- Please ensure all of your child's uniform, coats, PE kits, water bottles and packed lunch boxes are labelled so the children can find their things easily and can avoid taking home anyone else's things.
- Our PE day is Tuesday and Swimming day is Thursday- Please ensure your child has the correct kit on these days and any earrings have been removed.
- Green word books- The children will be bringing home green word books with 6 words which they did not recognise during our reading assessment last week. Please practise reading these words with your child but please do not write in this book. We will give your child new words on a weekly basis.
- Blue spelling book- Every Friday your child will receive 5 spellings to practise throughout the week in preparation for testing the following Friday. Again, please do not write in this blue book as the children will need to use it in school.
- The school doors close promptly at 8.55 every morning so please ensure your child is on time for school as children can often feel unsettled if they are late.
- Home time is at 3.20- Please be ready to wave to your child if they are by the door as sometimes the children cannot see you and we are still trying to learn your faces.
Thank you very much for all your support and if you have any questions, please speak to us.
Miss Boardman and Mrs Orr
Another wonderful day in the Puffins! The children have been settling in brilliantly and are learning our Year One routines very quickly!
Today in maths, we focused on counting. The children used the dominoes and number caterpillars to practise their number formation and addition.
We have had a fantastic first day in Year 1! The children came in excited and ready for the new year! We learnt all about our morning jobs; completing the self register, putting our packed lunches on the trolley, putting our dinner tickets in the box and finding our own pegs and trays. Please make sure your child's jumper is labelled as these can be hard for the children to find on the pegs if unlabelled.
Also, our PE day is Tuesday and our swimming day is Thursday so please ensure your child has the correct kit on these days. Thank you!
After completing all of our jobs, we had decision time. The children played together brilliantly and really enjoyed their first day together.