Home Page


Special Educational Needs at Ardleigh Green Infant School


Ardleigh Green Infant School is a mainstream school where children, parents and governors are “Working Together, Learning Together and Growing Together”. It is our aim to provide learning experiences that are differentiated to take account of the needs and attainment of each pupil. In doing this, we minimise the difficulties that pupils will experience. Despite our efforts, some children will experience significantly greater difficulty than others and these pupils will need extra consideration and provision. We recognise the need to identify and actively cater for these children at all levels and aim to achieve this by:


  1. Setting suitable learning challenges

  2. Responding to pupils’ diverse needs

  3. Overcoming potential barriers to learning


How will the school know if my child needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?


At Ardleigh Green a child is considered to have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.


Special educational needs and provision can be considered as falling under four broad areas:


  • Communication and interaction

  • Cognition and learning

  • Social, mental and emotional health

  • Sensory and/or physical


Mrs V Hoffman is our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) and oversees the identification of those children with special educational needs and the provision being made for them in school. If you are concerned that your child may have special educational needs, please ring the school and ask for an appointment. The class teacher will remain responsible for working with the child on a daily basis. The SENCO will support the class teacher in the further assessment of your child’s particular strengths and weaknesses, in problem solving and on the effective implementation of the support. The Governors, led by the SEN Governor, Mrs Consterdine, will be knowledgeable about the SEN provision at school and will monitor its quality and effectiveness.




The school recognises the importance of early identification, as well as the assessment and provision for any child with SEN. When deciding whether special educational provision is required, we will start with the desired outcomes, including the expected progress and attainment, and the views and the wishes of the pupil and parents. We will use this to determine the support that is needed and whether we can provide it by adapting our core offer, or whether something different or additional is needed.


In judging whether a child has Special Educational Needs initial information required would include:


  1. Assessments and observations

  2. Individual Records

  3. Reading Test results if Year 1 or above

  4. Class Teacher assessment and experience and Parental Observations

  5. Consultation with previous Class Teacher/SENCO/Support Teacher

  6. Information from outside agencies (if appropriate)

  7. Liaison with, and information from, our feeder schools or pre schools


If a child is identified as having special educational needs we will take action to remove barriers to learning and put effective provision in place. This support ensures earlier decisions and actions are revisited, refined and revised with a growing understanding of a child’s needs and of what supports your child in making good progress and securing good outcomes.


How is the decision made about the type of support, and how much, my child will receive?


High quality teaching, differentiated for individual pupils, is the first step in responding to pupils who have SEN. If children fail to make expected progress, then planned, targeted provision will be put in place. A progress provision sheet is completed, detailing what extra support each child is receiving, as well as an Individual Education Plan detailing specific targets to be worked on. As well as a differentiated curriculum, support can be in the form of planned interventions or an additional adult in the classroom to help facilitate learning. Resources are allocated based on the needs of the child. For example, a child who experiences social and interaction difficulties would be supported by our Specialist Speech and Language Teaching Assistant, as well as participation in a Social skills group. There may be an additional adult available at break and lunchtimes to support play. Children can be supported by an adult available to read tests for them and, in some cases, extra time for tests can be requested. The class teacher and SENCO, in consultation with parents and child, at a meeting to discuss the Individual Education Plan, will agree the adjustments, interventions and support to be put in place, as well as the expected impact on progress, development or behaviour.


All teachers and support staff who work with the child will be made aware of their needs, the outcomes sought, the support provided, and any teaching strategies or approaches that are required.


How will both the school and I know how my child is doing and how will the school help me to support my child’s learning?


Children with SEN make progress at Ardleigh Green Infant School. All staff, led by the Assessment Co-ordinator and SENCO, track the progress of children with special educational needs. This progress will be shared with you at our parent’s evenings, and if your child is on the SEN register, you will also be invited to school termly to discuss progress against individual agreed targets. Children with special educational needs will be expected to complete homework, differentiated where necessary, to help support their learning. Reading with your child should be completed daily and there is a home school reading record to encourage contact between home and school.


How will my child be included in activities outside the school classroom including school trips?


At Ardleigh Green Infant School, there are many opportunities for extra- curricular activities and school trips. All children will be encouraged to take part in trips and reasonable adjustments will be made to ensure that this can happen. If your child has special educational needs and an upcoming trip may require further planning, the class teacher or SENCO will liaise with you before the trip to ensure that your child has every opportunity to take part. Similarly, if your child needs support at the beginning/end of the day or during lunch and break times, this can be provided where necessary.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?


We consider ourselves to be a forward thinking school, committed to meeting the academic, physical and emotional needs of every child. In conjunction with our Managing Medicines guidelines we are able to administer on-going medication to your child and cater for their personal care. All staff are trained in Basic First Aid, with some trained to a higher level and we regularly update our training for Anaphylaxis, Epilepsy and Diabetics. We have developed a range of strategies to deal with any challenging behaviour to ensure that children have an opportunity to talk about any concerns they might have. We have a parent’s support group for parents to work together with school to make the provision as effective as possible for children with additional needs and pupils are regularly given the opportunity within a safe and secure learning environment to contribute their views. We have a school council and each class has monitors who are responsible for different areas within the classroom and the school.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?


There may be times when the school will seek assistance from a specialist outside agency in order to effectively cater for your child’s special educational needs. These services include Educational Psychology, Speech and Language Therapy, Social Communication Support, Child and Family Consultation Service, Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy. If your child has a special educational need that we had not encountered before, we would ensure that staff are suitably trained in order to provide effective support before they start school.


How accessible is the school both indoors and outdoors?

The school is fully accessible for wheelchair users, the playground height has been adjusted to ensure smooth transition from classroom to outside. There is ramp access into the building from the Reception classes and main entrance, a disabled toilet and disabled parking space available. Should specialist equipment be necessary e.g. a hoist for toileting, then consultation with outside agencies ensures that this is made available.


How are parents involved in the school? How can I get involved?


At Ardleigh Green Infant School we work together with parents to ensure that your child will achieve their potential, whatever their need. Parents are invited to meet the class teacher twice a year and there is an additional Open Evening in the summer term when you will be encouraged to see your child’s work. If your child has special educational needs, you will also be invited to meetings with either your child’s teacher or the SENCO to discuss progress. This progress will also be discussed with your child, who will have a chance to contribute to the discussion about their targets and what they would like to learn.


The school will always be willing and happy to talk to you about your child, but if you have any concerns or worries, please do not hesitate to speak to your class teacher or the SENCO who will do their best to resolve any issues. If appropriate, you may also speak to the Head teacher, Mrs Val Morris, who has an open door policy. Information about our Complaints Procedure can be found in our Complaints Policy which is available from the school.


There may be times when the school will ask for assistance from outside agencies in order to fully support you and your child. If this is the case, you will be invited in to discuss this with the SENCO, Mrs Hoffman and she will liaise with you about any visits or appointments that may follow from this involvement. Mrs Hoffman can be contacted by telephoning or visiting the school.


How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new setting or to the next stage of education and life?


If your child is moving to the Junior school from the Infant school, all records will be handed over and discussed. Your child will be given opportunities to visit the school at different times during the school day and there will be an opportunity to meet their new class teacher. If necessary a Person Centred Review (PCR) will be held to support your child’s transition.


What is the Local Offer and where can I find it?


The local authority publishes a Local Offer, setting out in one place information about provision available across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled, including those who do not have Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans.


The Local Offer provides clear, comprehensive, accessible and up-to-date information about the available provision and how to access it, and can be found on the Havering website at